In honor of Halloween, I am making a top ten for the scariest video games of all time. Some of these just made me uncomfortable, others made me jump like a scared schoolgirl.
10. Splatterhouse 3 (Genesis) - This was the first game to ever scare me as a child. The weird demonic enemies and dark storyline gave me chills. It is pretty tame these days, but still a very fun game to play.
9. Silent Hill 4 (PS2) - While this isn't the best Silent Hill, it does has some of the weirdest moments. First there was the whole voyeur angle when looking through to your neighbors to see the bloody rabbit doll occasionally move. The giant baby demons near the end of the game are also really odd. Then there is this part...
8. The Darkness (Xbox 360) - While on the whole this game isn't the scariest game, one part of the game puts it on this list. Your character wakes up at one point in the hell for World War I soldiers. The soldiers are unable to die and fight nonstop for eternity. This version of hell looks frightening, and the concept is very cool. I would recommend The Darkness if only for this one part.
7. Resident Evil 2 (PSX) - This game had some of the best random "scare the shit out of you" moments. I still remember jumping out of my seat when the lickers crash through the investigation window in the police station. This is survival horror done right.
6. Illbleed (Dreamcast) - The story here follows a girl trying to escape a trap filled haunted house with her sanity intact. The game was innovative for monitoring the girl's heart rate, which if it got to high she would actually have a heart attack and a blood loss gauge that monitored well...blood loss. The game has some really weird and scary moments. It is also notable for having a demonic version of Sonic the Hedgehog.
5. BioShock (Xbox 360) - Some people might not classify this as a horror, but I think it fits right in. Weird f**ked up enemies? Check. Killing little girls for power ups? Check. Bizzare story involving self mutilation and cannibalism? Check. It is one of my favorites games even though it so twisted.
4. Fatal Frame (PS2) - Taking pictures of ghosts to kill them is a pretty crazy concept, but this game does just that and it is actually really cool. The game take places in modern Japan, and feels alot like a horror movie from there. A dark and immersive game that really scares people with the lights out.
3. Rule of Rose (PS2) - The whole theme of this game is just nuts. You play as an abused orphan terrorized by evil kids in animal masks. The game isn't the greatest, but the weird atmosphere really leaves you feeling uncomfortable. This is a fun game to throw on, and watch your friends say," what the hell is this game dude?"
2. Clocktower (PSX) - Running from a murderer sucks. In this game, it is pretty the entire concept. A killer called Scissorman is chasing after you and he will catch you. When he catches you the game enters a "panic mode" where you have to fend off the maniac. The game is pretty hardcore, but it is worth playing for the scares Scissorman delivers.
1. Silent Hill 2 (Ps2) - I have played hundreds of games in my life, and this one is definitely the scariest. Your character James enters Silent Hill to find his dead wife, yet he finds only hell awaits him. The story is very dark, the atmosphere is tense, and the enemies are gory. The game's ending will not leave your head for weeks as well.