Thursday, December 13, 2012

Theatrhythm vs. My Wallet

I am a big fan of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy for the 3DS. The game has tons of replay value, and lots of fan service for Final Fantasy gurus. The one thing that bothers me is the sheer volume of DLC available and it's pricing. The game has roughly 50 DLC songs available for purchase at .99 cents a pop. So, basically if you want the whole game, retail cost of Theatrhythm 29.99 + 50.00 = 79.99. That is a lot of cash, and let's be honest, why couldn't they stick half of those songs on the fucking cartridge in the first place?
Square Enix released an updated version of the game for iOS yesterday, so now you can rock some Final Fantasy music on your iPhone 4s. However, only two songs are included. The rest of the music will cost ya. This wouldn't be so tempting for me if they didn't add really cool new stuff. New characters like Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics (I missed him) and Auron from FFX are among the new DLC. In addition, new music tracks are exclusive to this version like the badass One Winged Angel remix from Advent Children. Sadly, after doing the math, if you want everything for the iOS version, it will add up to around $134.00! Also, if you only own the original iPad (like me) then you can't play this game because it needs gyroscopic technology found only in later Apple products. Somehow my iPad is obsolete three years after purchase...
Anyway, I can only dream that Square Enix will release this new content from the iOS version in the Nintendo store. They really love money so I think they will...eventually or they will just make a new 3DS version will all of the DLC included to milk fans for even more cash. I won't complain too much as long as my saved data transfers over to the new version. Yes, I am that pathetic.

No comments: