Monday, December 21, 2009

Five Best Games of 2009: A Year in Review

Well the gaming year is almost over and 2010 is upon us. As usual I sit and ponder the many great games I have played over the past year. Here is the rundown of my five personal favorites:

5. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - This game just screams high production values. The graphics are among the best of this console generation. The story is cool and leaves room for the expected sequel. What really made me love this game however is the online. There are tons of options, from team death match to capture the flag, it is all here. The online also offers cool achievement titles outside of your normal 360 achievement list which gives you cool titles and emblems to enhance your "killer" persona. I was in the military at one point, so seeing the amount of realism in this game's equipment and introduction mission were also big highlights for me. Kudos to the developers. Now I am waiting for some Nazi Zombie DLC action (crosses fingers.)

4. Tekken 6 - Being a long time Tekken fan I was almost hesitant to get this game. I was thinking how will this be different from any other Tekken I have played? Well first off, the character roster is all open from the start, so there is no character unlocking; this was a nice change of pace from previous installments. The online was sketchy at first, but an update has made it very good and playable, bravo Namco. The new characters are the real kicker for this new installment. I love the robot girl, Alisa, and the weird Middle Eastern chick, Zafina. They both fight in exciting new ways. The game's premium edition is what made this one of my top five. It gave me flashbacks of Working Designs. Not only did you get the game but you also got a wireless arcade stick, slick artbook, and a calender. That is a kickass bundle if you ask me.

3. Scribblenauts - This little DS game rocks. Just about anything your mind can imagine or shouldn't imagine can be wrote in to solve puzzles or craft your own stages. The amount of creativeness this game allows is unprecidented. I loved everything about this game, it would have been nice if it were longer( you can replay levels however.) Besides that little flaw, this game deserves a spot on everyone's must play list.

2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - I just finished this game, so I maybe a little impartial. Even without that fact, this is a fantastic game. This title appeals to retro gamers and the youngsters alike. Everything about this Mario is spot on from music to level design, only the way Nintendo can lovingly craft it. This is my Wii game of the year, and may even end up being my favorite Wii game ever; consider this is a bold statement from a man who unlocked everything in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

1. Street Fighter IV - I am a life long Street Fighter fan so this game really meant something to me. Street Fighter IV takes it main game mechanics from fan favorite Street Fighter 2 and adds new systems like the Focus attack to perfect their fighting series. I loved everything about this game just like Mario, but I have went back to this game time and time again, which something I can't say about Mario yet. I am eagerly anticipating the sequel, Super Street Fighter IV. For everyone that complains," I can't believe Capcom is ripping us off like this," I say look at the amount of material Super is getting...it will not be just another update.

That's the list, share your opinions in the comments below. I would love to know what other people think their list would look like. :-)

The wait for Super Street Fighter IV begins...

No comments: