Sunday, November 15, 2009

Holiday Gaming Madness -_-


I have never understood why game companies release all of the big titles during the holiday season. Gamers are left to pick only the titles they feel are most elite, and sadly many games get left in the dust. Huge launches for the new Call of Duty, Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 2, and a new awesome Mario for Wii will leave smaller (albeit excellent looking) releases like Demon's Souls and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on shelves waiting for their eventual move to bargain bins. The holidays are fun, yet frustrating because of this crazy practice.
For a retro gaming fan like myself the holidays are equally frustrating for another reason. New "pretty" games make it almost hard to ask for a retro gift. Sure I would like to say," I have wanted Alien Solider for Megadrive for ten years," but I know if someone ask me for a gift I'd like to receive I will make it easy on them and say a game recently released. Sorry reto game collection, but I have to get some modern shit on the shelf...damn you fancy new consoles and your fantastic graphics!
I love to buy people games as presents for Xmas. Giving my sister a game we played as children together like Chrono Trigger brings nostalgia to the heart. I also like to get the girlfriend a cool little puzzle game or something, just to bring her into my little gaming world for awhile :-P. As cheesy as it sounds, giving can be as fun as receiving (especially when it means two player Magical Drop) .
The holidays aren't the only reason to be excited either. In January more huge titles release: Bioshock 2, Bayonetta (the demo is amazing btw), Tatsunoko vs. Capcom All Stars. and Mass Effect 2. Also in March for PS3 and 360 the much anticipated, Final Fantasy 13, finally arrives in the US. It is a good time to be a gamer...just not a poor gamer.

No comments: