Monday, January 4, 2010

Back from Magfest

I got back from Magfest today. The con was pretty awesome overall. My only problems were with the Hilton hotel's inability to foresee parking issues, as I was forced to park in some crazy ass places over the weekend. Also the Hilton's 1980's TV's in the rooms aren't very friendly to next gen consoles, shame on you Hilton for locking the back with your custom RF box from hell. Aside from those petty issues the gaming was plentiful and most of the people there were pretty cool as well.

I got to play some pretty obscure arcade games like Demon Front and Espgaluda 2. Demon Front is a Metal Slug like game with characters that can float via winged familiars. I liked the game, although it seemed to be lacking some of the charm of SNK's venerable series. Espgaluda 2 did not disappoint. Cave crafted a pretty fine shmup and enjoyed it much more than Muchi Muchi Pork (which I also beat at the con.)
Demon Front, a good Metal Slug clone.


Espgaluda II, bullet hell insanity from Cave.

I picked up alot of cool retro games at Magfest. Some highlights are Faxanadu (NES), a sealed Sega Bass Fishing (Dreamcast), and Clash at Demonhead (NES). I also got a few albums from tribute musicians. I highly suggest checking out Rare Candy and Entertainment System, they are really kickass bands with some nice songs featuring Zelda, Starfox, and more.

Aside from the convention, I also adventured around D.C. The Smithsonian museum was really cool. I got alot of nice pictures there. One is below...reminds me of Gradius, lol.



Moai heads are freakin' sweet.

No comments: